Featured Post

MABUHAY PRRD!

Monday, December 9, 2013

Mandela will live in our hearts forever

By Ellen Tordesillas
Malaya
Mandela arrives in Malacanang. AP photo.
Mandela arrives in Malacanang. AP photo.
TWENTY-SEVEN years in prison, a long period of that in darkness and limited access to sunlight, affected the eyesight of world hero Nelson Mandela, that one of his requests when he came to the Philippines on a state visit on March 1, 1997 was to have the lights dimmed in his hotel room.
His office also specified a room temperature for the then almost 80-year old South African leader, whose principled fight against apartheid and his forgiveness of the people who had persecuted him have made him an inspiration and an icon.
I am not sure where he stayed during his Manila visit but usually at that time state visitors stayed at the Manila Hotel.
I was then a Malacañang reporter and I felt privileged covering the visit of the distinguished leader. I brought his autobiography, “Long Walk to Freedom” hoping for a chance to have him autograph it. When I did not get the chance to approach him during the press conference, I gave the book to his protocol officer hoping that he would have the chance in between meetings.
The protocol officer returned the book to me without the much-desired autograph explaining that he was told by Mandela’s aides said that the South African leader has made it a policy not to autograph books and memorabilia.
There was a 2010 news item in The Guardian carried a request from the Nelson Mandela Foundation that “Because of the sheer volume of requests for his autographs, he no longer signs books, memorabilia, photographs, etc. “
It was a privilege just seeing the revered freedom fighter in person. At the joint press conference with President Ramos after their meeting, we were told only one question would be allowed from a reporter. Follow up questions would not be entertained.
I asked a “light” question because that was the first time that he was travelling with his love interest, Graca Machel, on an official trip. Machel’s title in the Mandela entourage was “official companion.”
Machel is also a distinguished personality. The widow of Mozambique president Somera Machel, was a friend of Mandela, and she was known for her humanitarian work.
I asked if we wedding bells would soon ring. That was the first question in the presscon and the South African leader must have expected something political. He was briefly taken aback but his reply was a class act. He said,” Well, my cultural background does not permit me to answer this question with people young enough to be my children or grandchildren.”
Mandela and Machel married a year later.
More than his struggle against apartheid, Mandela’s lasting legacy was forgiveness. My favorite message from him is this part from his autobiography, “Look Walk to Freedom”:
“It was during those long and lonely years that my hunger for the freedom of my own people became a hunger for the freedom of all people, white and black.
“I knew as well as I knew anything that the oppressor must be liberated just as surely as the oppressed. A man who takes away another man’s freedom is a prisoner of hatred; he is locked behind the bars of prejudice and narrow0-mindedness….
“When I walked out of prison, that was my mission, to liberate the oppressed and the oppressor both, some say that has now been achieved. But I know that that is not the case. The truth is that we are not yet free; we have merely achieved the freedom to be free, the right not to be oppressed. We have not taken the final steps of our journey, but the first step on a longer and even more difficult road.
“For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others…
“I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
“I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista on the distance I have come. But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk it not yet ended.”
Mandela’s long walk has come to an end. With his legacy, the world will continue the journey.

No comments: